Because of our continued growth we are currently seeking multiple Coding Specialists to join our HealthPartners team. Each Coding Specialist will be responsible for partnering with providers and clinic operations staff to support the HealthPartners Revenue Cycle. The Coding Specialist is responsible for understanding and optimizing the revenue cycle for their specific department(s) and or clinic location(s).
The Coding Specialist provides support to providers and clinic staff for CPT, HCPC, and ICD-10-CM coding systems, and acts as a liaison between the delivery sites and compliance operations to support the Provider Services Monitoring Program and related educational activities around coding, billing and compliance.
To be successful the Coding Specialist must:
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of the areas that can hinder optimal revenue capture.
- Have an in-depth understanding of coding and compliance rules and regulations.
- Have knowledge of Electronic Medical Records (EMR) in the areas of charting tools (i.e. order entry, smart sets etc.), charge dropping, charge update, charge review and follow up work-queues.
- Surgery (General Surgery/Trauma/Burn/Wound)
HealthPartners 180 East Fifth Street Building in St Paul, MN
Please note: There may be some travel to clinics in the surrounding area depending upon the location(s) of providers. Additionally these positions do not offer the ability to work remotely.
- Revenue Capture
- Ensures all services provided are accurately captured in the medical record and billed appropriately. This is accomplished using the following methods:
- One-on-one chart review with each provider
- In-depth understanding of EMR in the areas of charting tools (i.e. order entry, smart sets, etc…), charge dropping, and charge update, Charge review work-queues
- A review of each provider’s individual charting tools and preference lists to ensure accurate CPT, HCPCS and ICD-9/ICD-10 coding
- Investigation into supplies and medications dispensed at each clinic and a review of appropriate billing for them
- Working all CCI/LMRP edits, claims manager rules and other coding associated charge review WQ rules for each clinic or department supported.
- The ability to provide feedback to each provider based on identified coding trends.
- Maintains a current knowledge of regulations and legislation regarding billing compliance issues.
- Denial Management
- Working all coding related denials.
- Working all coding related patient complaints
- The ability to provide feedback to each provider based on identified denial trends.
- Implement changes and provide education & feedback to providers, departments and clinics with regards to denials that impact revenue flow and or capture
- Provider Education
- Provides coding education (HCPCS, ICD-9-CM/ICD-10, DSM3-R, & CPT) to providers and clinical staff in accordance to the established corporate compliance plan.
- Works with the Education & Compliance Specialist to further support and educate providers on their performance in the Provider Monitoring Program.
- When provider documentation issues are identified, work with clinic management and the Education & Compliance Specialist (ECS) staff to implement corrective action plans.
- Actively train physicians and other providers on coding and reimbursement issues. Attend clinic and department staff meetings to disseminate information and to become familiar with operational issues within each business unit.
- The RCS will be responsible for implementing corrective action plans to improve revenue cycle outcomes. This may include (but not limited to) creating site-specific education, partnering with Revenue Services staff to implement site-specific revenue improvement projects, understanding how to leverage Epic technology to create revenue capture solutions, or suggesting operational changes at each location.
- Certified Professional Coder (AAPC) or Certified Coding Specialist certification (AHIMA).
- Must have strong E/M coding experience.
- Four year college degree or equivalent work experience
- 1+ years of experience as a certified coding specialist
- Three years demonstrated knowledge of coding
- Ability to present information in one-on-one and group settings
- Ability to communicate information in a professional and confident manner
- Must demonstrate a thorough understanding of the front and back end revenue cycle components in a physician practice
- Demonstrated ability in critical thinking, self-initiative, and self direction
- Understanding of physiology, medical terminology, and disease process is required
- Must understand and be able to apply the following regulations:
- CMS Evaluation and Management Documentation Guidelines
- CMS Teaching Physician Guidelines
- CMS Correct Coding Initiative
- Third Party Payer Reimbursement Policies and Procedures
- Five years working with coding systems.
- Two years previous experience in medical record chart documentation review.
- Two years’ experience in group education with provider audiences.
- One year working with EpicCare.
- Two years working in a physician practice setting.
- Demonstrated PC skills in Word, Excel, and Microsoft Access.
At HealthPartners, you’ll find a culture where we live our values of excellence, compassion, integrity and most importantly, partnership. By working together, we will improve health, create exceptional experiences for those we serve and make care and coverage more affordable.
HealthPartners is recognized nationally for providing outstanding care and experience for patients and members. We offer an excellent salary and benefits package. For more information and to apply go to www.healthpartners.com/careers and search for job ID #51264
Please enable the bookmarks plugin to activate this feature.